What is Patton's Tiger?

I have been immersed in natural history since I was 18 and started work at the (then) Wildfowl Trust at Arundel. I met, worked and lived with some brilliant naturalists and a lifetime's obsession was born.
Birding was followed by mothing and the height of 'achievement' was obtained when a moth was given the above vernacular name in recognition of the fact that I trapped the first British record.

Sunday 3 June 2012

Over to East Sussex

Immediately after the PSL 2-day meeting, I headed over to East Sussex to catch up with a flower which had eluded me in the past.

I should, at this point, explain something. I, obviously, keep a Pan-Species list. I also belong to the Wild Flower Society and keep a plant list as well. When you join the Society, you start to keep a wild flower diary which is submitted on an annual basis. You may only include plants which are actually in flower. When you are considered competent, you can move from the local group to the heady heights of 'Valhalla'. At this point you have to start counting again, but things become slightly easier in that you can now include plants which are not in flower.

So, this plant was important because I had only seen it in seed, as I had missed the flowering season on my last visit. This time, I was too early - it was only in bud! But it counts for my Valhalla list!

Spiked Rampion
I have to admit that that is, obviously, not my photo!













Red-necked Terrapin on Falmer Pond







No comments:

Post a Comment