What is Patton's Tiger?

I have been immersed in natural history since I was 18 and started work at the (then) Wildfowl Trust at Arundel. I met, worked and lived with some brilliant naturalists and a lifetime's obsession was born.
Birding was followed by mothing and the height of 'achievement' was obtained when a moth was given the above vernacular name in recognition of the fact that I trapped the first British record.

Monday 4 June 2012

Thundry Meadows

Thundry Meadows, near Elstead in Surrey, is one of my favourite reserves. Why, I hear you ask (very quietly!) Well, I've always seen interesting things there (including Purple Emperor - which was, unbeknown to me, the first record for many years), dogs are not permitted on the reserve and, well, it just feels nice!!!
A quick visit there this evening provided an array of species.



There were hundreds of mayflies hatching. At first it was cloudy and they were resting on vegetation. As the sun came out, they started rising - always a moving sight to me.
Identification to follow.




Bog Bean





Marsh Ragwort



No comments:

Post a Comment